By Kelsey Quin
Distinguished Young Woman of Indiana for 2011
So, as I’m sure everyone knows, Super Bowl 46 just happened in my state capitol, Indianapolis, Indiana. In keeping with the theme, I’m going to give you guys 40 “Super” Quotes to remember everyday to make sure you’re always being your best self. I’m offering a little bit of my input under each quote. Go through one quote a day, a few each week, or read them all at once! They all have something different but important to say! It’d be great if you guys could tell me your favorite 6 quotes, or 6 things you found helpful/really liked! (Get it? 40 from me + 6 from you =46!)
1. My favorite quote! This is because I love fairytales, but I also love the idea behind the quote. It means that these huge, clawed, fire-breathing problems that we have in life, that seem too big to tackle, can be beaten. Just like in all the good fairytales where the prince slays the dragon. But remember, if you can’t “slay” the problem, in Shrek, they befriend the dragon. So when beating the problem isn’t an option, make peace with it.
2. God has given you many talents and blessings! Use them and find what truly makes you happy in life and pursue it! There is no better life than a life in which you are happy!
3. No matter what kind of day you’re having, remember you are beautiful, and you have something to offer in life. Don’t ever let anyone or anything bring you down. People say mean things to try to make themselves feel better; lead by example and choose to ignore the mean comments, and offer that person a smile or a compliment in return. Not only will they be confused, you’ll feel better about yourself. It’s a win-win!
4. If it’s important to you, make it happen. NEVER give up.
5. Be nice, always. Maybe (s)he only said something that hurt your feelings because they’re going through something really difficult and painful, and they don’t know how to deal with it. Everyone has a story. It may be hard, but try to always remember that.
6. Always stay positive and look at the bright side.
7. You don’t have to save a baby from a burning building to be courageous. Sometimes courage is simply being able to admit you were wrong and deciding to do better.
8. Life is kind of funny. You can be the best planner in the world, but eventually, something is going to happen to throw everything off track. Don’t panic! Remember, there is more than one way to bake a potato.
9. In case you can’t read it, it says, “Never forget who you are.” Don’t let someone change you into someone you don’t want to be. Know your morals, know what you believe in, and stay true to yourself.
10. This is a great quote for a lot of reasons, but what it reminds me of is to stay classy.
11. EVERYONE is a princess. If no one has ever told you you’re a princess, I’m telling you now. You’re a princess. Princesses have responsibilities though, so always wear your invisible crown and make sure you’re doing as a princess should.
12. You don’t have to follow the crowd. Do what you know is right, even when it is hard- ESPECIALLY when it is hard.
20. Yes, there is a lot that is wrong in our world today. Don’t lose faith! You have the opportunity to change the world.
Check back later today for Kelsey’s 40 Quotes to Live By – Part 2!!
Kelsey Quin is a college freshman at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana majoring in General Health with a Pre-medicine concentration. Originally from Peru, Indiana, Kelsey was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Indiana for 2011. Learn more about Kelsey here!
Enter your email address to subscribe.