By Veronica Townsend
Distinguished Young Woman of Delaware for 2011
As the school year wraps up, each of us finish up our freshman year of college, our senior year of high school, graduate, or just end a tough year filled with work, the absolute greatest time of the year is here – summer. Just a few sweet months filled with warm weather and fun times seems to fly by quicker each year, and always holds the potential to be the best summer of them all. Truly take advantage of this fabulous time of the year and have the greatest summer possible!
1) Get a job – Since I live in a beach town, my friends have always had summer jobs for as long as I can remember. Although we all work hard catering to the large masses of beach goers, it truly is a great way to spend your extra summer time. Future employers will think it’s great if you had a previous work experience, and who doesn’t like making some money? And just because you have to work a little bit doesn’t mean you can’t have time for summer fun!
2) Go on a trip – The summer is a great time to travel! With all the free time, the possibilities are endless. You can plan a getaway or even a road trip with your friends. I personally will be spending part of June traveling to one of the greatest places in the world – Mobile, Alabama for this year’s Distinguished Young Women National Finals!
3) Make a list – As soon as I reunite with my best friends once we return home for the summer from college, the first thing we plan on doing is making an ultimate summer to-do list. Ranging with all sorts of fun activities, we want to do things we never have done before and truly live our lives to the fullest! Make a list of all the things you want to do this summer so you can have sort of a checklist going and plan for a fantastic summer!
4) Attend a concert – There’s almost nothing better than attending a fun summer concert with family or friends! Taking advantage of the warm weather and good music is a fabulous combination certainly designed for a great time. Each year, the Delaware State Fair has some awesome performers come to town, and I plan on hitting up a country concert or two this summer!
5) Volunteer – Why not take advantage of your extra time this summer and put it to a good cause? Research some local volunteer opportunities and gather up some friends in order to help those less fortunate than yourselves. Volunteering will not only make you put a smile on someone else’s face, but will certainly make you feel great about yourself.
6) Relax – After a long year filled with school, I plan on spending the absolute maximum amount of time possible lying by the beach, spending time with my friends and family, driving down the coastal highway in my car with the windows down, and just loving and appreciating life! Regardless, summer is a time to take a break from the hard school life, so make your summer enjoyable and take it easy!
Above all else, have a fun-filled and distinguished summer and make memories that will last a lifetime!
Veronica Townsend is a college freshman at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware majoring in Fashion Merchandising. Originally from Dagsboro, Delaware, Veronica was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Delaware for 2011. Learn more about Veronica here!